It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: General Horse Racing Talk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

This is just a place where you can discuss horseracing, and what's going on with you and your horses.

Post subject: Re: General Horse Racing Talk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:04 am 

So how did the Heritage sale treat everyone? I went to look and hang out but saw a few people I know buy nice ones that I will be running against next year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:08 am 
Site Admin

I sure thought that the horses went cheap, there were some deals there for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:52 am 

I think there was alot of good buys. It will be interesting to see how the rest shape up for the remaining yr.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:55 pm 

RWQuarters wrote:
So how did the Heritage sale treat everyone? I went to look and hang out but saw a few people I know buy nice ones that I will be running against next year.

I bought one, #781. I am also in on a few partnerships. There were some great buys, and few over priced. But, I love the ones we brought home~~~ Tara Sanders

http://www.superstarbarrelhorses.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:29 am 

It was surprising how many did not bring their stud fees. I'd like to break down the averages per sire and see how they relate. It seamed like Check Him Outs and Brimmertons were affordable enough and the Fly Jess Flys were holding their own price wise. Some of the cheaper Eye Openers were really nice. I wish would have been buying, but I have all I can afford to run at home already.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:13 pm 

RWQuarters wrote:
It was surprising how many did not bring their stud fees. I'd like to break down the averages per sire and see how they relate. It seamed like Check Him Outs and Brimmertons were affordable enough and the Fly Jess Flys were holding their own price wise. Some of the cheaper Eye Openers were really nice. I wish would have been buying, but I have all I can afford to run at home already.

We purchased FOUR Brimmertons. One at the TQHA Sale, and three at the Heritage Sale. One of tghe Brimmertons we purchased at the Heritage Sale was a Filly and someone purchased her from us for a decent profit before we brought her home. But, we have Three Brimmertons here at the house now. :) We have a Brimmerton that is out of a daughter of Fitting Celebration.. He's a little line bred... :D

http://www.superstarbarrelhorses.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:50 pm 

62 People online and no one posting. Dang

Brit Leggett

405-631-0000 Office
800-842-2543 Toll Free
405-226-4335 Cell
britleggett@mac.com

www.britleggett.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:15 am 

RWQuarters wrote:

I think there are quite a few studs out there with artificially high stud fees thus their yearlings don't sell nearly as high as it would seem they should. These studs will have to readjust their fees to where the breeder can breed and make profit on a yearling otherwise those studs will be out of business pretty fast. To me it looks like the market (yearling market) can only handle about 5-6 studs with fees of 3500 or more and there are quite a few more than that out there. What does everyone else think?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:23 pm 

So much coms down to breeding to sell or breeding to run I guess, picking either the trendy sire to market one or making yourself a runner. Plus look at the studs won their races, I think their yearlings sell better in those regions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:45 pm 

RWQuarters wrote:
So much coms down to breeding to sell or breeding to run I guess, picking either the trendy sire to market one or making yourself a runner. Plus look at the studs won their races, I think their yearlings sell better in those regions.

Yeah there aren't a lot of people who breed to race anymore. Most people just breed for the sale ring and you can't really blame them. Just part of the business right now I guess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:44 am 
Site Admin

What are some stallions that people are looking at breeding to next year?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:49 am 

Country Chicks Man, PYC, Jumpn, Jumpn Chick, Corona For Me, Mighty Invictus(again), Fly Jess Fly, Gol, Gros Oreille - thats the start of the list for my Dash For Cash daughter.

Zoomin For Bux(again) for my Special Effort daughter

Sweet First Down for my Chicks daughter.

Just the early thoughts.

Might look at Furtreeous and a few of the first year guys. Its so hard to pick. I breed them to take to the track, but might sell one so I am torn between what will sell good and what I think will cross good.

Since I run a lot at Canterbury Park I will have to see who is eligible for the Minnesota Stallion Breeders Futurity thru the online stallion service auction MQHRA is having.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

My best friend stands Sweet First Down, he is a nice horse and I think well worth the money. I think I'm gonna breed my Corona Cartel mare to Country Chicks Man this next year. She is in foal to Oak Tree Special right now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:02 pm 

wade wrote:
My best friend stands Sweet First Down, he is a nice horse and I think well worth the money. I think I'm gonna breed my Corona Cartel mare to Country Chicks Man this next year. She is in foal to Oak Tree Special right now.

That should be quite a cross! The best son of Chicks with the best daughter of Chicks through Corona Chick, that one will be fast!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:17 am 

Prairie Meadows -

Is anyone plugged in to the Iowa program? I read in the Des Moines paper that Prairie was looking to go to a seperate meet for QH and only have 20 racing days over 5 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:08 am 
Site Admin

Does anyone have a horse in the Dash For Cash Trials this weekend?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:01 pm 

Wade

No I do not but my mare has a 1/2 brother running in the Fut. trials by Brimmerton named ENIGMATIC KISS SI 88, Kissing Effort by Special Effort (1 wins to 2, $7,124, etc.). Best of luck to those that do.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:11 pm 

We don't have anything running, but we will be wishing everyone the best of luck this weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Just curious as to what people think about Stolis Winner getting a positive test for caffeine from the All American.